December can actually be a shrewd time for savvy homeowners, who are thinking about making a move. Here are our top 10 reasons why now might be the right time to sell.
“Leave it until after Christmas.” That would be the first instinct of many people who think about putting their homes on the market, with an eye to moving in the New Year.
It seems like a no-brainer. Everyone is far too busy buying Christmas presents to concentrate on house-hunting.
But December can actually be a shrewd time for savvy homeowners, who are thinking about making a move. Here are our top 10 reasons why now might be the right time to sell.
- One of the busiest days of the year on property portals is Boxing Day. According to figures from Rightmove, there is about a 20 per cent uplift in people house-hunting online from Christmas Eve to New Year’s Day. You need to make sure your property is in the shop window at the optimum time. Browsing for homes is a classic post-Christmas recreation, like browsing holiday websites for your next summer break.
- Given that most people will follow the conventional wisdom and not put their properties on the market in December, you will be entering a less crowded market place – which will help your home to standout.
- Many people start new jobs in January and will naturally start focussing on their new living arrangements before the New Year, rather than leaving it to the last minute.
- Millions of people visit relatives at Christmas time, which may take them hundreds of miles from their home towns. Some of them will also eye up the property market in unfamiliar parts of the country, checking prices, contemplating possible moves. There is a window of opportunity here.
- Many workers get their Christmas bonuses before Christmas and, in some cases, make moves in the property market on the basis of those bonuses.
- A house decorated for Christmas will create an instant feel-good impression – much harder to achieve in the quieter days of January.
- Christmas tends to be a comparatively quiet time, both on the stock markets and in the political sphere. That makes would-be property buyers a little less jittery, which can be a good thing.
- They may be few in number, but there are some people whose idea of a perfect Christmas present to a loved one, is a £1 million cottage in a beautiful location.
- If you have decide to move, you should get on with it, regardless of the time of year, and not use Christmas as an excuse. Stalling for time can be costly.
- You may enjoy the festive season more if you decide to sell now, rather than worrying when you will find time in the New Year.
If you are thinking about putting your house on the market, talk to your local agent for advice.