Andalucía’s Costa del Sol, which runs for 800km and boasts 126 beaches, is regarded as one of the most famous stretches of coastline in the world.
Anyone looking to buy a holiday home with sea views will find the area caters for all ends of the market from attractive new-build apartments in the up-and-coming town of Estepona and its New Golden Mile to spacious villas in the fashionable addresses of Marbella and Sotogrande. Moving away from the seaside and heading into the hills which quickly start to rise, properties in the pueblo blanco village of Benahavis and its elite hideaway La Zagaleta (where President Putin is rumoured to be completing a vast palace) enjoy vast panoramas of the spectacular coastline.
With excellent road (and in some cases rail) infrastructure all along the Costa del Sol, anyone who buys a holiday home in the area will be able to take advantage of the wide range of beaches, each bearing their own distinctive characteristics. Here we’ve rounded up our top 10 list of the Costa del Sol’s finest beaches.
- Playa del Cristo just to the west of Estepona, is one of the best beaches in the area. It’s ideal for families as there’s a car park just behind and there are two beach cafes (known as chiringuitos in Spanish) serving food and drink.
- Torremolinos is where the boom in tourism began. The Costa del Sol’s first ever purpose-built resort lies just 13 km north of Malaga; today, aficionados credit it with a certain 1970s charm—a reference to its high-rise hotels and apartments. Its four beaches are now all connected by a long promenade.
- Playa del Cañuelo is lies on the border of the Costa del Sol and the Costa Tropical to the west and has more of a laid-back vibe than some of the better-known beaches. With clear waters, it’s also a favourite area for snorkelling.
- Calahonda Beach in the resort town of Nerja, a charming former fishing village, is a two-and-a-half mile stretch of yellow sand and deep blue sea.
- Lying at the eastern end of a rocky coastline, Burriana has retained something of its original fishing village atmosphere. Burriana Beach is the most popular of all the local ones and offers endless sporting activities from beach volleyball to jet skiing. There’s a long row of chiringuitos all serving wonderful seafood.
- Puerto Banus is just 20 miles east along the coast from Estepona and known as the Costa del Sol’s yachting capital. Of its three beaches, the Playa Puerto Banus (also known as Playa del Levante) is recommended for its soft golden sand and calm waters.
- The infamous beach club Nikki Beach—the site of champagne tastings, daytime dancing and its season-opening white parties–is set on a stunning stretch of coastline which is famous for its clear waters.
- Carvajal Beach in Fuengirola is lively beach with plenty of activities to keep children busy including a giant bouncy castle and water playground in the sea. There are a good number of cafes and restaurants behind the beach to escape the crowds.
- Maro Beach, just a few kilometres from the town of Nerja, is a 500m stretch of dense sand which lies hidden under cliffs. Access is via a steep path and there’s an abundance of marina and coral life that makes it a great spot for snorkelling.
- La Viborilla in Benalmáden is a a hidden gem surrounded by palm trees and woodlands which makes for a spectacular place to enjoy sunset views across the sea. Lying south of Torremolinos and slightly off the beaten track, there’s a well-regarded beach bar and restaurant serving typical Andalusian dishes.
Properties with sea views for sale
This sleek and modern village near Guadalmina Baja is within walking distance to the beach and set within an exclusive gated community. It’s on the market for €1,995,000.
This new frontline beach development is located to the west of Estepona about 5 minutes from Estepona port and Sotogrande. It has direct access to the beach and comprises of 68 apartments and penthouses as well as 2 splendid villas. Prices from €592,000 for a two bed apartment, up to €2,454,000 for a four bed penthouse sold through Winkworth Spain.