About The Cator Estate
Comprising 282 acres just to the south of Blackheath Village, the Cator Estate is a semi-private gated residential area which extends around Blackheath Park and Pond Road. It’s widely regarded as one of the best addresses in Blackheath and was declared a conservation area in 2002.
A short history
The original estate was bought by a local businessman from Bromley, John Cator, in 1783. When he died in 1806, much of the land was still being farmed but from the 1820s onwards parcels were sold off and it was gradually developed into streets featuring some magnificent Victorian villas starting in Blackheath Park and continuing to Morden Road which was laid out in the 1850s.
In 1957 came the first schemes of Span houses designed by the architect Eric Lyons which promoted space and light. Although these were largely opposed at the time, today are sought after by fans of mid-century modern design.
The Cator Estate remained in the family hands until 1965 when the local residents’ association took over the ownership of the private roads and administration of the estate. It levies a charge of properties to cover these costs.
Green spaces and going out
Blackheath’s 211 acres of windswept common is ideal for dog walking, kite flying and outdoor exercise. The local community organise annual events such as village days, festivals and Blackheath also hosts one of the largest fireworks displays in London for Guy Fawkes night. The village is well supplied with restaurants, bars and shops, many of which are independently owned including a bookshop that has been in place since 1949.
Blackheath station is in Zone 3 and has trains to Charing Cross (20 mins) which stop at London Bridge (17 mins). Canary What if a 30-minute journey by train and DLR changing at Lewisham.
Did you know?
The philosopher John Stuart Mill lived at 113 Blackheath Park for 20 years and wrote his book On Liberty there.