About The Royal Military Academy
Set in the heart of Woolwich, this is collection of apartments, duplexes and townhouses overlooking Woolwich Common built on the site of the former military academy which trained the likes of Churchill and Kitchener.
A short history
The Royal Military Academy was established to train officers for the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineer regiments. The architect James Wyatt was commissioned to design a complex of buildings to house them on the southern edge of Woolwich Common; it opened in 1806. Over 100 years later, in 1936, it was decided to merge with the Royal Military College in Sandhurst in Berkshire. The site became part of Woolwich Garrison but as the number of personnel based there steadily decreased it was declared surplus to requirements. The Grade II-listed buildings were sold for development in 2002. Following a programme of restoration which began in 2008, the Royal Military Academy fully opened in 2019.
Tramshed is a theatre company and community arts hub based in the heart of Woolwich offering theatre, arts activities and workshops. A typical range of high street brands and local services are located nearby mainly on Powis Street while the area around the new Crossrail station—Royal Arsenal Riverside—is expected to grow and develop in the coming years.
Green spaces and going out
The need for local sports pitches was raised during the planning consultation period which has resulted in the Blackheath Cricket Club, thought to be the oldest cricket pitch in England, being restored. Woolwich Common covers150 acres and is popular with dog walkers and joggers. Maryon Park and nearby Maryon Wilson Animal Park occupy hilly sites with good views.
Regular buses serve Woolwich Arsenal DLR and train station which take 10 mins, depending on traffic. From Woolwich Arsenal there are connections to Bank via the DLR (29 mins), trains to London Bridge (24 mins) and Crossrail services.
Did you know?
The phrase “talking shop” (meaning to discuss subjects not widely understood by others) is said to have emerged from the Academy which was nicknamed “The Shop”.