About East Greenwich
An area with an industrial past, East Greenwich is made up of a mix of period terraced houses and new developments with most of its shops and services located along Woolwich Road.
A short history
Rattling the nerves of those who lived there at the time, throughout the 17th century East Greenwich was home to the government’s powder magazine—meaning it tested, stored and distributed gunpowder. This was demolished in 1802.
Around that time, a local landowner named George Russell built a tidal mill for grinding corn, as well as workmen’s cottages in River Way (some of which still stand today). The mill became a chemical works in the 1840s and then a power station.
The first transatlantic cable was made here in the 1850s and in the 1880s, the East Greenwich gas works were built—the two gas holders were, at the time, the largest in Europe.
Green spaces and going out
East Greenwich’s largest green area is the Pleasaunce. Once it was a naval cemetery but is now a tree-lined park with a cafe, children’s playground and community centre. Those looking for more acreage can walk or get a bus to Greenwich Park.
In the heart of Greenwich is one of London’s most popular markets which dates back to the 16th century and takes place every day. There are three cinemas in Greenwich: the Picturehouse in the town centre and two multiplexes on the peninsular. Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance puts on regular concerts in local venues.
Trains from Westcombe Park connect to Cannon Street in 20 minutes. North Greenwich tube station is accessible by bus from Woolwich Road (14 mins, depending on traffic) and from there it’s just one stop to Canary Wharf.
Did you know?
The O2 (formerly the Millennium Dome) was built on part of the site of East Greenwich Gas Works.