A mainly residential area that lies to the south of Eltham, and within an easy distance of all the amenities in Bromley, Mottingham is largely made up of houses dating from the 1930s.
A short history
Mottingham was originally a hamlet in Eltham and was farmland until the mid-19th century. Such was the absence of a significant settlement that Mottingham station was called Eltham when it opened in 1866. The first significant development began along Mottingham Road and the West Park estate which was built to house the middle classes in the 1880s. In 1912, the Ironmongers’ Company built Sir Robert Geffrye’s almshouses on Nottingham Road to replace the original homes in Hoxton which have been turned in the Geffrye Museum, the Museum of the Home.
When the county of London was created in 1889, Mottingham was considered to be in Kent; it wasn’t until 1965 that it was incorporated into London. Development of the area began in earnest when the London County Council built 2,000 houses on the Mottingham estate alongside schools and shops.
Green spaces and going out
Opposite the train station lies a small tree space with a lake while Mottingham Sports Grounds (also known as Foxes fields) is a popular area of open space and has a playground with parking facilities.
There are two riding schools in Mottingham catering for all standards and abilities. Most of the shops and cafes are clustered along the north end of Mottingham Road where there is also a sports centre with a 25m swimming pool. For cinemas and a greater selection of restaurants and bars, Bromley town centre is a 30 min bus ride away.
Trains to London Bridge take 20 mins from Mottingham station while Charing Cross is 30 mins. Canary Wharf is 35 mins, with a change at London Bridge to the Jubilee line.
Did you know?
The cricketer WG Grace (widely considered as one the sport’s greatest players) lived at Fairmount on Mottingham Lane from 1909 until his death in 1915.