Sunny Bank, Iffin Lane, Canterbury, CT4
A magnificent Grade II* listed Georgian manor house, which was the former home of Lord Carson, and also Baroness Orczy, author of The Scarlet Pimpernel, and hosted Winston Churchill and his Conservative Party rally in 1930.
This historically important property includes accommodation spanning over 4,000 sq ft and occupies large grounds which include a beautiful orangery, swimming pool, tennis court and croquet lawn.
An historically important stately home with the provenance to match.
This magnificent Grade II* listed Georgian manor house is not just visually distinctive, but has a rich history that sets it apart.
Built in circa 1730, Cleve Court was most notably the former home of Lord Carson, who is widely accredited with forming Northern Ireland. His friend and colleague, Winston Churchill, also held a Conservative Party rally in the garden in 1930.
Also once a resident was Baroness Emma Orczy, author of The Scarlet Pimpernel, who is believed to have penned her most famous book during her time at Cleve Court.
Occupying a prominent position close to the village of Minster, the property is set back behind a carriage driveway and substantial wrought iron gates.
Situated just a short drive from the A299 which joins the M2 at Faversham to London, Cleve Court is conveniently located within 12 miles of Canterbury and just 1.5 miles of a mainline station at Minster, with high speed connections to London in under 1hr 15mins.
The increasingly trendy coastal towns of Ramsgate and Broadstairs lie within easy access and offer a range of shopping and leisure facilities, as well as a number of independent schools.
Grand, extravagant and opulent, but this remains a practical and manageable home.
The accommodation spans over 4,000 sq ft, so Cleve Court is undeniably a large property, but nonetheless, it's conducive with modern living, and doesn't require a team of household servants to maintain.
The layout emphasises space with a small number of large rooms, rather than relatively more small rooms; a configuration that will best suit those that enjoy entertaining.
Guests are welcomed into a large entrance hall which features a Minton titled floor and a striking staircase which sweeps up to the galleried first floor landing.
Panelled walls, tall sash windows with shutters, decorative coving, cornicing and oak doors are amongst many of the splendid period features which are displayed throughout the property, which remains largely original.
There are two expansive reception rooms, which include a drawing room and dining room, both of which enjoy an open outlook onto the gardens. A separate kitchen is situated to the front, finished with maple cabinets and granite worksurfaces. An oil-fired cast iron range is set within the fireplace.
The lower ground floor is thought to predate the main house, and houses a utility room, games room, store room and a vaulted cellar.
A cloakroom is located on the half-landing as you approach the magnificent first floor landing, which is dominated by a range of Venetian windows and far-reaching views. There are three large double bedrooms and a family bathroom. The master bedroom has plenty of space to include an en-suite, subject to any necessary consents.
Equally appealing are the delightful gardens and a wonderfully spectacular orangery.
Steps lead down from the drawing room onto a manicured croquet lawn bordered by a haha and beautifully planted borders. To the far end of the orangery is a changing room/pump room for the swimming pool, which would serve as a beautiful studio.
Beyond the haha lies the tennis court and a lightly wooded area of garden, which includes several outbuildings. There is also a timber-framed garage adjacent to the driveway.