The perfect estate agent, like the perfect fashion model or tennis-player can be hard to find. But as an agency who understands the importance of setting high standards, we have thought long and hard about the talents needed to do the job well.
The perfect estate agent, like the perfect fashion model or tennis-player can be hard to find. But as an agency who understands the importance of setting high standards, we have thought long and hard about the talents needed to do the job well. Here are some of the qualities you should look for when choosing your next estate agent:
- A passion for property. An estate agent who is fascinated by what makes one property more desirable than another, and how a hard-to-sell property can be given a makeover, are tell-tale signs that they are in the right profession.
- A good head for figures. An agent who can do relevant sums in seconds – to do with mortgages, service charges, annual rental yields, etc – will reassure and give you the confidence that you need. This is always helpful when you are on a viewing and need a quick answer to help make an informed decision.
- Market knowledge. The right agent will have a good grasp of the local market. They will be up-to-speed with market movements, will know the decision at the last of Bank of England interest rate committee meeting or should know a realistic asking price in your street.
- A strong work ethic. Being an estate agent is not a nine-to-five job. If they want to be successful, they have to be prepared to go the extra mile and do things that are well beyond the call of duty.
- Imagination. The best agents can look at floorplans, then spot properties with potential or recognise how to turn a two-bedroom flat into a three bedroom apartment with some careful space planning.
- Charm. The best agents combine a warm manner with a natural ease in communicating with other people. Their clients treat them as friends within five minutes of meeting them. It is a profession for sociable people with strong people skills.
- Honesty. Agents who are trusted will always make the grade. Simple!
- Flexibility. Agents have to be willing to work in the evenings and at weekends: they need to adapt, without breaking sweat, to the needs of clients.
- Professional dress sense. Would you buy a million-pound property from an agent wearing ripped jeans?
They may have sold many homes in your street in the past and might even know how long it takes to sell a home in your neighbourhood.
Anyone can study the market or look up the names of the local schools, but true experience developed over many years, stands out when choosing an estate agent. If your agent has these qualities, they have the makings of a very successful agent.
Are you looking to sell, buy, let or rent? Contact your local Winkworth office, visit www.winkworth.co.uk/branches.